Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I asked my Wells Fargo Bank credit card customer service

Customer Question

I asked my Wells Fargo Bank credit card customer service dept to switch my monthly auto payment from total balance to minimum balance payment and also made the minimum monthly payment at that time. She said all was fine and took the payment. Days later I tried to use my debit card and had insufficient funds. The auto debit for the credit card payment for the full balance of $2800.00 had come out of my checking account which had a balance of only $400.00! The bank said they are leaving my checking account,also Wells Fargo, at a NEGATIVE- $2400.00 and it is accruing overdraft fees as all the many transactions I made over the weekend hit the account. These will add to $800 or more! Do I have any recourse? I have already spoken to a customer service supervisor with no results.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: You have recourse against the credit card department for not complying with your instructions. You need to ask them to pay for your overdraft fees. If they ignore you or refuse to pay, then you would have to file Small Claim against them for the unauthorized withdrawal.