CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have been waiting years to get bariactric surgery.I have

Customer Question

I have been waiting for 2 years for approval to get bariactric surgery.I have just been told some lame excuse for denial by the hospital. I have jumped through all to the necessary hoops required by my doctors phycically, which are approx.10 diff. speciallists say I would greatly benefit for my health sake. I am 59 yrs old and started doing all my homework and going to seminars of diff. bar. surgens. I truly believe they will not" get a lot of money from my insurance" and that is the reason for the denial. not that I have support at home.I have 3 close friends who had the surgery and walked me through every step of each and every one of them. The sole reason I WAS TOLD BY A NURSE REPRESENTING THE ACCUAL DR. WAS NO SUPPORT AT HOME.! What a crock! My friend lives alone and had it and is doing fine. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP? OR DIRECT ME TO.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Short of hiring an attorney, you can file a complaint with the New Mexico Dept. of Insurance (see: http://www.osi.state.nm.us/consumer-assistance/index.html), they can investigate the matter for you and determine whether or not your carrier is improperly rejecting coverage for you under the terms of your policy.

If that fails, you can then look into hiring a lawyer for a claim of "bad faith" against your insurance company. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).