Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

My contract with a carpenter was breached. Paid and labor

Customer Question

My contract with a carpenter was breached. Paid for materials and labor and he skipped out before completion.(the kitchen was left incomplete) have contract and lots of documentation and witnesses. Made hundreds of phone calls to get him to come back, with no response.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am sorry to hear that you were taken in by an unscrupulous contractor..

.

Do you have any idea where this person lives or works?

.

Have you obtained estimates on what it will cost to complete the work that was started?

.

What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a PO Box. He said he lives in Berlin,VT. I can easily get an estimate. I had another carpenter doing other outside work, and couldn't believe what he was doing.
My question is, What do I need to do to get this guy, to either finish or return my money. He's a thief!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, a PO box won't work because if you filed suit under a breach of contract action, you have to have him personally served with the summons to go to court. The sheriff can't serve a PO box. So you need to do some investigation and find out where he lives or works and then you can file a suit in small claims court for your estimates to complete the work or redo it completely under a breach of contract claim.

.

.

thanks