Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I live in Los Angeles and the Gas Company has been

Customer Question

I live in Los Angeles and the Gas Company has been crucifying me and my family since 2009. A 4-unit property I owned was foreclosed upon in October 2008. As the previous owner, I was responsible for paying the Hot Water gas bill that provided hot water
for the entire building (all 4 units). At the time of foreclosure, the gas bill was current. I still have corresponding documentation. With the looming foreclosure Sale date, I verbally contacted the Gas Co. and advised of the impending property & Water Heater
Account ownership transfer. I was informed me not to worry about the account because the account would automatically reflect the new owners name. Two months after the foreclosure, I received a bill from the Gas Co. demanding payment for the Hot Water Heater
for a property I no longer legally owned. I contacted them again and reminded them of both the past Notice; plus the fact that County Property Title documents certified that the building / property was no longer listed me as the Owner. The Customer Service
Agent informed me that my name was the only on file; and that the new owner had not contacted them to replace my name from the Hot Water Gas Bill Account. Furthermore, the Account could not be nameless. I stated that I would not volunteer to pay that bill,
under any circumstances. For 8 months afterward the foreclosure date, I continued to receive Gas Company Payment Demand Notices for noted Water Heater. I in turn repeatedly mailed County documents that reflected new ownership dates; plus the current Gas bill
statement at the time of foreclosure, when I was the legal owner. Eight months after the property's foreclosure, and after the Gas Co. posted DISCONNECT Notices all over the building, the Tenants contacted the City of LA Housing Authority and the County Health
Dept. to complain about the impending lack of hot water matter. The new owner/ foreclosing bank contacted the Gas Company and stopped the Hot Water Disconnect action. In addition, new owner did not remedy the outstanding payments for the 8 months of service
(hot water) provided to the building's tenants during the period from the foreclosure date to the Hot Water Disconnect period. The Gas Co. has demanded that I pay the hot water provided during that period - and completely has disregarded the fact that I was
not legal owner or an assignee of the property. In addition, the Gas Co. transferred the outstanding balance to the property in which that I personally resided. In furtherance of that, the Gas Co. disconnected Gas Service where I reside until I pay the Outstanding
balance from the Hot Water Heater that was incurred after the property was foreclosed upon. Since 2009, I have submitted multiple appeals to the Gas Co; the CA Public Utilities Commission; County of LA Consumer Advocacy group for assistance. Still, for years,
we have not had Gas service at home. We have not been able to and can not bathe at home; we do not heat our home because we do not have gas. Let me know what options, if any, that my family and I have to beat back the bullying that we have been subjected to.
It would be helpful to connect with Consumer Attorney(s) in Los Angeles to resolve this nightmare. The Gas Co has forwarded the "bill" to collection agencies and they are not only harassing me; they are also damaging my credit status. Please help. Thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

When you initially purchased the building, did the previous owner contact the utility companies and have them scheduled for termination and you then placed them into your name?

.

Did the bank buy the property back at the foreclosure sale or was it a private party?

.

.

thanks