Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I am a home owner. My neighbor have tenants in s house: 5 or

Customer Question

I am a home owner. My neighbor have tenants in his house: 5 or more students. Every Saturday they have loud parties keeping my family up after 11pm. Last week it was until 3am. I called police, officer calmed them down, but they keep doing it. I talked to them and they are not going to stop. What should I do? What is a noise ordinance in san Francisco? what are quiet hours here?
Thank you
Mila
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

The noise ordinance in San Francisco runs from 10pm until 7am and prohibits unreasonable noise levels between those times. So your simplest recourse is to just call the police immediately once it gets past 10 o'clock and they are being noisy. The police have a duty to respond and after a few times will start handing out citations and fines for violations of the noise ordinance. The neighbors will quickly learn that it gets very expensive to have loud parties when they are paying fines and court costs a few times.

.

I had a property where I lived in a college town and went through the same thing every semester. After a few times of calling the police on them, they got the message that they couldn't be loud there or the police would show up every time and they eventually took the party elsewhere..

.

.

thanks