Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Live in texas. Went to buy a car at a reputable toyota dealership

Customer Question

Live in texas. Went to buy a car at a reputable toyota dealership by my house, signed all the paperwork, title transfer, finance agreement, all that. I have to get insurance before I can take the car so I leave for a while to find insurance. Come back and they tell me the car has frame damage they found in the final inspection so they can't sell it. That's fine with me, don't want a car with frame damage but I ask to see it, not the damage just the car to show my boyfriend. The guys eyes got big as saucers so I felt like something was up then. Well then, they tell me it probably went to auction, I ask to see some paperwork or something because at this point something doesn't feel right, can never produce it. I'll need to come back the next day to talk to the manager. Come back, still can't find the car or proof it went to auction. At this point, I say I'm not buying anything until I see something showing they didn't sell my car to someone else and they can't produce it so I walk out. Also, a guy said, "We sometimes have problems and cars will fall off the lift or get a mirror taken off in the car wash, there's nothing we can really do." I had already signed everything though, the car was mine, all I needed was proof of insurance and I could drive off. So, my question would be, how would I go about seeing what actually happened to the car? I feel like there's a lot more going on and they're just trying to blow it off thinking I'm some young dumb thing not going to ask too many questions. They're wrong. I want to know because it doesn't make sense and everyone had a different story or said things that didn't add up when compared to what others said nor could they ever show me the car or paperwork showing it went to auction and if they sold the car to someone else after signing, there will be a lawsuit. I have the paperwork and all with the vin at my house, if I'd need that to find out.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. The only way you can force them to show you the paperwork is to file a lawsuit. You can have a local lawyer write them a letter and threaten a lawsuit unless they provide a copy or you can report them to the Texas DMV at http://www.txdmv.gov/contact-us and they may provide a copy of the paperwork to the State in which case the state would provide a copy to you. If you sue them under a breach of contract theory then you are absolutely entitled to get a copy of all of the paperwork involving the vehicle during the discovery process.