Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

Can I get in trouble a car on Craigslist that wasn't

Customer Question

Can I get in trouble for trading a car on Craigslist that wasn't in my name and had a Lein on it that I was un aware of.i am getting the car I traded for in my name tomorrow.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you with your concerns. If you knowingly claimed that this was your car and it was not in your name, and you claimed that the title was clear of any liens or defects, then yes, you perpetuated a fraud against the buyer. The buyer could then demand a full refund and give you back the vehicle, or he can even attempt to pursue criminal charges over 'false pretenses' and 'fraud' over this transaction. Since you made assurances that the vehicle had good title, and that this title was in your name, either or both of those issues create a basis for claims of fraud as well as potential claims for criminal charges.I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****