Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We moved out of an apartment 3 months ago. We lived there for

Customer Question

We moved out of an apartment 3 months ago. We lived there for 22 months. We received a letter from a collection agency stating that we owed the complex 483 dollars. When I called the apartment managers to find out what it was for they would not tell me. It belonged to the collection agency. When I asked them why I was not contacted to resolve it they told me that they did not work that way. As a matter of policy they turn it over to collections. I have mailed the collection agency to request a detailed summery of what the expenses are.
Can they send it directly to collection without making an effort to contact me first?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: No, they cannot. They must send the bill to you and give you opportunity to review it, confirm and pay it, or dispute it BEFORE sending the account to collections. This is an illegal practice and should be reported to your Attorney General's Office:
{url]http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/complaint[/url]
You should also file complaint against the apartment managers with the Colorado Division of Real Estate, which is the agency that regulates real estate professionals in the State of Colorado:
https://apps.colorado.gov/dre/licensing/Activities/Complaint.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You, ***** ***** the information I needed, Kirk
You are quite Welcome!
Kindly give a positive rating to my answer so that I can receive credit for the post.
Thank you for your cooperation