Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

My wife and I signed a contract to purchase a car in ft lauderdale

Customer Question

My wife and I signed a contract to purchase a car in ft lauderdale fl. We finished the signing everything and then when removing personal items from old vehicle to new one we were told by the salesman that the finance manager wanted to see us again. That was when she told us the price of the vehicle was incorrect on the contract and if we wanted the car we would have to pay the higher price. Is there anything we can do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. If there truly was a mistake made on the contract then they are allowed to cancel the contract based on a defense to it known as a "mistake of fact". You, of course, don't have to purchase the car at the higher price. Many car dealers do this knowing that people already have their hearts set on the car and will agree to pay slightly more. What you can do is file a complaint with your state's attorney general and they should investigate to see if this is a common practice with this dealership. If it is what is known as a bait and switch and what not an actual mistake then you could sue them to force them to sell you the car at the lower price.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You could sue anyway to try and force them but that is incurring quite a bit of expense with no guarantee that it is going to be recoverable if it turns out to actually be just a mistake.