Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I am attempting to adopt a dog from a community shelter. My

Customer Question

I am attempting to adopt a dog from a community shelter. My application was approved, adoption papers were signed and the fee was paid. I was given a receipt for the dog. The shelter placed a 60 day hold on the dog because he was newly neutered and my female is intact. I thought this was extreme, I can understand 30 days maybe considering my female just went through a heat cycle and will not have another one for some time. The shelter did not want to discuss other options and we really want to bring our new dog out of that environment. I asked around with some friends for their experiences and advice, word got back to the shelter and they are angry. They called to tell me that because people contacted them on my behalf they would null and void the adoption and for me to pick up my check, which they already cashed. Do I still have a right to this dog?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Assuming there was no right in the agreement you signed to rescind the adoption during the hold period, no, they can not void the adoption.
You could file a suit in small claims court for breach of contract or, in the alternative, file a replevin action forma turnover order, effective when the hold is expired.
I hope this is helpful.  If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them.  It is never a problem.
Thank you.