Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I purchased a vehicle from a major leasing company on 2/14/14

Customer Question

I purchased a vehicle from a major leasing company on 2/14/14 for 4000.00 that was registered in the state of North Carolina. Took the title and paper work to the South Carolina DMV vehicle was registered and fee paid for a title and taxes.
I was no longer in need of this vehicle and was going to sell it. Never receiving a title by mail I went to the SCDMV for a duplicate title to be printed on 5/22/15. SCDMV stated that there was another title issued by North Carolina for this vehicle by the leasing company that I purchased and they were unable to issue me a title for this vehicle and I should contact the leasing company from which I bought the vehicle.
On 5/22 I did contact the seller. They have been unable to find the duplicate title that they requested. I have driven to NCDMV they will not give me any information or help and several trips to SCDMV to prove I own this vehicle and need a title with no luck.
Since then I have contacted the seller several times to check on the process of getting a duplicate title from NCDMV on 6/8/15 the seller says they started this process of getting me a duplicate title I contacted them today 7/24/15. The seller states there has been paperwork issues and that the paper work was filed with NCDMV around 7/20/15 and that it will be another fifteen days to process the paper work and three to four weeks before NCDMV issues a title.
During this time I have had one sale of this vehicle fall thru, and another buyer ready to buy but I cannot sell the vehicle with out a title. Is there any recourse I have against the seller?
Just wondering if the seller has broken any laws by selling me a vehicle on a bad title?
Thanks
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
how much are your total damages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At this point I guess loss of sale of the vehicle which is 3700 dollars since I have had two offers and am unable to sell it

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You could pursue a claim for damages based on fraud, breach of contract, implied warranty of good faith and fair dealings.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
This can be pursued by lawsuit, lawyer negotiation, and/or complaint to the attorney general
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
i trust the answer is fast and acceptable. Kindly let me know.