Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

If a person is injured on a boat attached to a trailer still

Customer Question

If a person is injured on a boat attached to a trailer still in the water (being pulled out) would it be covered by auto insurance in Michigan? No boat insurance
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Hmm, was the injury caused by the vehicle being moved, or was it due to the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a pontoon boat which was taking on water on one side. The boat was on the trailer, attached to the the truck. The trailer let loose from the truck, causing the boat to throw the person onto the ground
Hi,That does not appear to be a 'motor' accident, and appears to have been caused by the boat, which happened to have been attached to the truck. As such I really do not see this as an auto insurance claim. The truck had to have been some sort of a proximate or direct cause, and there is no causation here for the injury. As such, I do not see this covered and I see the auto insurance company likely denying the claim. Sincerely, ***** *****