Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I live in Charleston South Carolina, and recently had an accident

Customer Question

I live in Charleston South Carolina, and recently had an accident while towing a friend's boat and trailer. The damages were about $3500. and the insurance company has denied the claim under collision coverage saying the trailer was covered but not the boat. I also have comprehensive and liability coverage in my State Farm auto policy. I appears to say that I should be insured under the liability section of the policy. How should I proceed?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. You need to contact your insurer and inform them that the policy you read states the boat being towed would be covered under your comprehensive policy. If the insurer still refuses and your policy says it is covered, then you have to sue the insurance company for breach of contract, which you can do in small claims without an attorney, to seek the court to order them to pay pursuant to the terms of your policy.