CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

So I bought a digital product online. It turns out, the website

Customer Question

So I bought a digital product online. It turns out, the website is a scam company that sells empty products - well I didn't know at the time.
Fortunately, I purchased through paypal and opened up a dispute. Since paypal doesn't cover intangible, digital items, I lose the dispute by default.
I went to my bank and reversed the transaction (they make you claim it was an unauthorized purchase). I expect the company or paypal to fight the bank's claim since the real dispute was over the fake digital product. So when I lose this:
What other steps can I take to get my money back?
Thanks in advance?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
This is a tough one. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get money back from these criminals.You can make a police report for the theft with your local police department (however, there is also a federal reporting system for internet crime operated by the FBI: https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx).You can file a small claims case against the criminals for breach of contract, but enforcing your claim is going to be hard (they are often extraordinarily difficult (or impossible) to find, so I do not recommend spending a lot of your time, money, or resources pursuing a claim).For information on filing a small claims suit in Florida, see: http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml