Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My father he was told he won second place in an American sweepstakes

Customer Question

My father he was told he won second place in an American sweepstakes contest and his price would be $450,000. He was also told he would have to pay a fee of about $4,500 before receiving his prize. They have come back 3 days in a row and have sent a certificate signed William McNamara and R Stanley Buffington. The security # ***** 08-02. The winning number is ***** Did he win any prize? His name is*****
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. This is a scam, purely and simple. Please do not permit your father to send out any money. First of all, there is no such thing as an "American sweepstakes contest". Even if there was, your father had to actually register for it and not simply be contacted that he is a 'winner'. Second, even if there is a prize, the costs for the prize are borne by the sweepstakes---the winner does not pay anything to receive it. While the winner may have taxes and costs once the prize is received, there are no upfront costs here. Please report this to the FBI and to the ic3.gov but do not send them any money. Sincerely,Dimitry, Esq.