Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Keep receiving phone calls about sweepstakes winnings?? Out

Customer Question

Keep receiving phone calls about sweepstakes winnings?? Out of the blue and I am concerned.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature. I am sorry to hear about this situation. As you may have already figured out, this is fake. You have not won anything - see:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scamsHowever, what likely happened is that your number got on a list that a scammer found. This could have happened ANY NUMBER of ways. Once they have a number, they will continue calling and trying to entice someone into the scam, with a variety of "scripts."The best thing to do is to change one's number. If this is not possible, simply BLOCK every number that shows to be a scam call and NEVER engage with the scammer on the phone. After a while, the calls should die down.There is little to be concerned about with the scammer knowing your telephone number only. They cannot steal your identity, etc. Obviously NEVER give them any such information.I once read somewhere that a full 50% of cellular phones have received a scam call in USA.I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.