Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

My father passed away on January 2015 and he left some credit

Customer Question

My father passed away on January 2015 and he left some credit card debts. I notified social security and I thought after that credit cards would be notified by them. I have been reading some information and just realized that I had to notify each card individually. My mother is named in the account but we have no idea if she is just an authorized card user or she is a cosigner to my fathers account. I have been helping her with the bills since February 2015 because she is not employed but I am not able to keep up anymore. I also read that using the cards after the death is fradualent and my mother recently used one of them for my fathers funeral expenses without knowing she couldn't. The amount owed in total is about $9000 from 2 different cards. We also live in California which is categorised as a community property state. What can I do to fix everything? Where should I start? Also mention my father had no estates.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
My condolences to you and your mother for your loss.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If your mother is named on the account then she is an authorized user. Her use of the cards to pay for the funeral is not fraudulent, but she is liable for the balances.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
She can contact the credit card companies to seek relief. They are usually more responsive when the cardholder contacts them rather than when they are forced to chase after the account holder.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
They may be willing to lower the interest rate or enter into a repayment plan,etc.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you still online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Have I answered your question?