How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34721
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A Car mechanic collected $2800.00 to do the car repair.After

Customer Question

Hi a Car mechanic collected $2800.00 to do the car repair.After three weeks is not completed the repair. He put a bad Engine and the car is not driveable. I had a police report with me what is the next step.
E mail***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Did the mechanic give you a set date when he would be done with the car?.Was the $2800 supposed to cover everything?.What is his response to the car not working correctly?.Have you had anyone else look at it and give you an estimate on what it will cost to fix it correctly?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic tolled me one week to change the Engine. total caost $3500.00 He collected $2800.00 in Advance. He put a bad Engine which has got crack & not drive condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the workshop he was working is not beloing to him. He was using there lift. He had a problem with the work shop owner. He said to take all cars out. My car is not fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the police report ready
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this would be a civil matter, so a police report won't do you any good. You paid him to fix your car and he has failed to do so under the contract that you entered into with him. So your recourse now is to sue him in small claims court under a breach of contract claim for your money back or for whatever the cost is to repair the job that he started that is not done..FL has a $5,000 limit in small claims and you don't need an attorney to file. But you will need to get the car back and have someone else who is reputable give you an estimate on what it will cost to repair it properly so you can use that as evidence in your civil suit. The clerk will have the summons and complaint forms that you need to file suit and once you file them, the clerk gives you a court date where you just show up with your evidence, tell your story, and should get a judgment against the person...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answers.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions