Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

A friend wants to come visit me ,But she is telling that she

Customer Question

A friend wants to come visit me ,But she is telling that she has to have 15,000.00 in her account before they will issue her visa ???
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
What country does your friend come from? Is your friend someone you have only met on the internet who is professing her love for you? To whom does she claim she has to show this money? Is she asking you to wire it to her via Western Union or MoneyGram? Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is from ghana ,Acrra she is telling me that her financial requirments is that , Before they can issue a visa she has to have 15,000.00 in her checking acc. first internet love affair ? what is the for residents or ghana to leave the country ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
accra Ghana
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
THank you for the reply. Bad luck, unfortunately. I can tell you categorically that you have found yourself an internet scammer. We get asked this question all the time. In order to visit you in the US, a Ghanian woman only needs her plane tickets, her passport, and a tourist visa. That's it.The passport, according to the Ghana Immigration Service, will cost her the equivalent of $35 -- $75 if she wants it expedited. You can see that on the Ghana Immigration Service website here. The tourist visa to the US costs $140. You can see that for yourself by looking at the US Department of State's visa information.And that's all she needs. Many women from Ghana claim to need money in order to qualify to leave Ghana. They may or may not call it a basic travel allowance (or BTA) or a Declaration fee. This is a lie. There is no such requirement. Ghana's immigration service warns outsiders not to fall for that here on the FAQ page of their website at www.ghanaimmigration.org. (see link) As you can see, Ghana does not require money to leave, and the US certainly doesn't require a foreigner to show money in order to enter the US. In fact, the US State Department warns of getting involved with a Ghanaian who is professing love to you online. They warn as well about the BTA, because there is none. The warning reads:"Beware of anyone who requests funds for a BTA, or Basic Travel Allowance, as a requirement to depart another country for the United States. There is no such thing as a BTA. In other cases, your Internet friend will claim to need a travel allowance, or travel money, to be able to travel to the United States. Again, there is no such requirement under U.S. law"This woman is a scammer. She has asked you for the one thing that even the Ghanaian government will agree is a fraud.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.