Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

My ex wife called the finance company my cars where with. I

Customer Question

My ex wife called the finance company my cars where with. I had left the car at her house after the divorce.
The finance company said I did a voluntary had the car reposssed.
Can they do this?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information, however, in order to assist you I will need to know a bit more information. Who's names were on the loans for these vehicles? Also, how were they titled, in your name alone or in your name and your ex-wife's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The loan was in my name only and the title was in my name only.
She was name even on the insurance. Everything was in my name.
Thank you for your reply. Although what you described would not be considered a "voluntary" repossession if your ex-wife had no connection to the loan or the title, the lender could nevertheless repossess the vehicles if your loan was in default. In other words, if you were not making your payments, there would be nothing unlawful with your ex-wife notifying the lender as to where the vehicles were so that they could repossess them. However, that is not technically a "voluntary" repossession. Please fee free to ask forllow up questions if you have them. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again, I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer that I provided to you on the 20th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/ Thank you.