Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

If you are making payments and have a payment arrangement with

Customer Question

if you are making payments and have a payment arrangement with the car, and you were 4 days late on your payment, can they repo your car, when you called them prior and informed them that you will be making a payment
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. So long as the payment is even one day late, the creditor can repo and take the vehicle. Only if the lender AGREES to accept the payment late and AGREES to hold off the repo would the lender be barred from doing so, but simply informing them of the late payment is not enough since the other party has to agree to refrain from acting. As far as promising to make a payment, legally that has no weight because it is not enforceable--only a payment can keep it from being repossessed. I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****