Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

We had a new furnace put in. We stupidly paid job.

Customer Question

We had a new furnace put in. We stupidly paid for the job. The plumber didn't complete the job. We have no contract, only the receipt for full payment. Does small claims court help with this? What do you suggest we do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Even without a written contract you still have an enforceable agreement. The plumber is still required to complete the job for which has paid in a competent workmanlike manner.
You can either hire someone new to finish the work and sue the original plumber for the cost or, if you can wait, sue the original plumber without hiring someone else.
If the damages do not exceed $5000 for the city or $3000 outside the city you can sue in small claims court without the necessity of retaining a lawyer.
Best regards.