Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

My situation is not starting a business. But what my rights are as a business owner. I a

Customer Question

My situation is not starting a business. But what my rights are as a business owner. I am a auto body repair facility. I made repairs to a customers vehicle. A month later I hear from another repair facility that we did faulty repairs and the customer is requesting I pay for the work to be redone. The initial repair I did was $3800,the other shop is quoting over $10,000 for the same work. I guarantee my work for life. They customer refuses to let me inspect the vehicle. I understand the consumers rights but what are my rights?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. To answer directly, you have a RIGHT to be permitted an opportunity to make repairs and mitigate damages. That means that if there is a defect, you can request that the customer come to you first where you can review the work and facilitate repairs. If that does not get done, you can argue 'bad faith' on part of the customer as that customer denied you an opportunity to make reasonable repairs yourself. now, this is also a bit of a limited right--if he broke down 3 states away, for example, and was unable to bring the vehicle to you, then arguably this isn't bad faith. But if you could have reasonably been contacted, picked up the vehicle, and reviewed, you can on that basis dispute the charges and defend yourself and your business stating that you aren't liable since the customer denied you the ability to evaluate and fix. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a RCW or WAC that I can refer to that gives me the right to inspect the vehicle?
There is no RCW that I see that would be on point. But what I am referencing is 'common law', which is not codified. Arguing 'bad faith' and the right not to inspect but to repair a defect is inherent in any agreement for service between the parties.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.