CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Good Afternoon, My situation is related to the State

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
My situation is related to the State of Washington regarding the tow being proper or improper? My 91 Honda accord was stolen from my residence on 07/08/15 located in Thurston Co. recovered in King Co. by Normandy Park Police between 07/09 and 07/10/15 who arrested the thief. My vehicle was impounded and towed by Pete's Towing located in Des Moines, Wa. I didn't receive notice until 07/14/15 from Thurston Co. that my vehicle was at Pete's Towing so 5 days lapsed and I had to pay $450.00 should I request a hearing to contest the tow as improper? Thanks in advance for you assistance.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no, RCW 46.55.113(e) authorizes towing when a police officer identifies a vehicle as being stolen.See: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.55&full=trueYou may be able to negotiate a reduction in fees if you can show that there was unreasonable delay in contacting you once the ownership of the vehicle was determined, but 5 days is not an extreme period of time, so there isn't going to be a strong legal precedent on your side.I am happy to hear that your vehicle was located though, and I do hope that it was not damaged by the thief. Make sure that your insurance is notified of the recovery as well (your insurance may pay for the storage fee depending on your policy terms).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response, unfortunately from the time I submitted my question I was able to get my answer online regarding law enforcement agencies having the authority to impound a vehicle that's stolen. I pretty much read the entire law regarding towing and impounded vehicles. I've requested a refund. But thanks for your time.
Thanks for letting me know.I do wish you the best of luck with this matter.