Dylatess
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
29685164

I went to this entertainment place and upon inspection of my

Customer Question

I went to this entertainment place and upon inspection of my receipt I noticed they did charge me for sales tax on admission
as far as I know, in santa clara county, ca you are charged sales tax on products, not services.. I did my research and you are never charged tax on movie theater tickets, entertainment park admissions and the like, I called them and demanded an explanation and they told me that they were supposed to charge tax... I think they are wrong and have been charging people all along
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Entertainment venues in Santa Clara county due charge a tax on admission as required and is comparable to a sales tax. Note, this is what Disney has been fighting with Anaheim as Anaheim wants to impose a tax on admission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your explanation, but according to the California State BOE, Sales and use taxes: exemptions and exclusions, part 1,division 2, section B, pg 27; says : "ADMISSION CHARGES- Fees charged for the use of amusement parks, theaters, sports events, golf courses, etc., are not subject to sales or use tax because there is no exchange of tangible personal property."
how come that does not apply then?