Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I'm having trouble getting my car back from impound. I had

Customer Question

I'm having trouble getting my car back from impound. I had to get my license since I had a ticket in El Monte and never received anything period for no front license plate. I went to pick up my car from Upland Police and they said Well Fargo picked it up an hour or so before I got there. I owe no back money, in fact, I ahead of payments. They are giving me the runaround by telling me to call when someone is there who can take care of case. I called today and they said the tow yard doesn't get there until 9:00 am. What is going on?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called & they said cash only. I was on the way to pick up at police tow, but Wells Fargo called another tow to pick up and now only cash. I will pay it but now they said if I'm not nice to tow people they will sell my car because I got hyper when they said they will not give to me. Help
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They legally cannot sell your car if you are not delinquent on payments. Wells Fargo cannot keep your car from you merely because it was impounded by the police, even though they could pick it up from police impound if they are the lienholder on the car to protect their financial interest in the car.
Legally, they can demand a cash payment to return the car for their towing costs in going to get the car. If you make the payment they are asking, they cannot refuse that payment and cannot sell the car. If they do refuse your payment and do try to sell the car you can sue both Wells Fargo and the towing company for conversion and breach of the loan contract to seek damages from them.