Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

My credit card company has contacted a collection agency. I

Customer Question

My credit card company has contacted a collection agency. I can't pay the full amount due. Could I make payments?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns. To answer directly, that is very much based on the collection agency itself. Many do permit partial payments but be aware that they tend to tack on 'service' charges for each payment, making it that much longer to pay off the debt. At the same time accepting payments is at their discretion, and is not a right. So why you can request it, they do not have to honor it and can instead demand a lump sum payoff. Sincerely, ***** *****