Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

A few years ago our landlord took us to court and

Customer Question

A few years ago our landlord took us to court and was awarded a judgement for about 2165. We paid the balance in full and asked said landlord to please remit some kind of receipt confirming the balance is paid. He said he'd have to check, blah blah. Fast forward 2 years we are still waiting for a receipt. We have begun the process of purchasing a home and were told we must have the judgement satisfied. We asked him again for a receipt and he stated we have all of the cancelled checks, he doesn't need to provide a receipt - just bring our cancelled checks to the court to confirm payment.
We submitted the motion to the court, and are waiting for a date. Is it possible to recoup some kind of damages or fees for time off from work and time spent because he doesn't want to provide a receipt? Now we have to wait for the court to give us a hearing date, take off from work and go back in for the judge to confirm this judgement has been paid.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Did you have an attorney for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we represented ourselves. We had the proof that the home was partially inhabitable which is why we withheld rent (the basement was flooded due to a hurricane, he didn't remedy it in a timely manner and it grew mold. This was over 1500 sq of living space we were unable to use). He stated we left the home a mess upon our exit, we had a signed document from his property manager stating the home was in good condition upon exit. The judge chose to believe him and ordered us to pay 2165.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
While you can ask for the time, etc. there is no law to support it and the judge is going to deny the request.There was a way to handle it that would have resolved everything, which is why I asked about the lawyer. You could have deposited the amount you owed into the registry of the court along with a request for the court to issue a satisfaction of judgment and then the judge would have done so before releasing the money to the plaintiff but since there wasn't a lawyer that really doesn't help you at this point.Unfortunately, there is nothing in the law that requires someone to give a receipt when they are paid on a judgment and so technically the Plaintiff isn't violating the law by making you jump through hoops, even if it is a crummy thing to do.