Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I was contacted today by A1 Dept of Special Collections. To

Customer Question

I was contacted today by A1 Dept of Special Collections. To pay a bill with18 months of late fees for Handicapped Workers of America. Elaine Moreno was who I talked to twice - 'scam' light bulb went off so called back for more details - when I googled A1...had 2 people inquire on Just answer about the exact same scenario, co. & all, needless to say, I put a hold on the ck. Origal cost of 60 light bulbs - $75, now $389. Wanted payment to PO Box 167 Paramount CA 90723.
Is this a scam - she called 2 x this past wk, but never heard from her in 2013,2014 or even from the Handicapped Workers - I pay the bills, I would know -plus have looked for the 60 lightbulbs, no can find.
Is this a scam? If so, trust me, I will get the work out as I am a free lance writer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
If you dont recognize them, it is likely a scam. You can demand proof of debt in writing and cite to the fair debt collection practices act. If legit, they will produce proof and relation to original creditor. If a scam, they wont respond.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if that is helpful and clear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not, they put the 'fear of God' in me, saying they processed it & if payment isn't received in 3 days, it will be sent to the courts, I do not have time to delve into my , Dec. 2012 records, nor can I find the 60 lightbulbs I supposedly purchased from the Handicapped Workers of America, have googled & found this 'scam' on RipOff more or less, same area code - 562, different #
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
They proof of debt is on them, so they need to establish this. The burden is not on you.