Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

In senior center were I ate I met a couple which I talked to

Customer Question

In senior center were I ate I met a couple which I talked to them couple times. I asked that guy if he knows an English teacher to correct some staff for a book that I will like to publish . He recommended his girlfriend. Next time I brought my staff and I gave to the English teacher and I told her that everything there is very private. She took my papers she didn't corrected but she show it to her boyfriend. Her boyfriend without my permission called the manager from the senior center and he told her what I wroute and what was private. I asked the manager twice for his name and the teacher name and she protect it them and she defame me to the senior center. I have 2 big cases
1. I want to sue the manager and the senior center for 100mill for not cooperating with me and for defaming me to the senior center
2. I want to sue that teacher for not doing what she promised, for showing to her boyfriend what I wrote which was not her business and for him spading the rumor which was very private without asking me any permission and I want to sue this people for 75mill
I would be very concern how much do I have to pay a lawyer for this two different cases
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
The short answer is that litigation attorneys typically take 1/3 of damages recovered by the plaintiff if the case settles out of court and 40% - 50% if the case goes to trial. But that's really not a complete answer, because quite honestly, you're not likely to find a lawyer who will be willing to file either of the cases you're talking about.
Here's why:
1. There is no law that requires people to cooperate with each other. To win a lawsuit, you have to show that the senior center manager did something wrong. To hold the CENTER liable, you have to show that the manager was negligent in the scope of his duties. Defamation is an intentional tort, so, by definition, it cannot be negligence. There is unfortunately no legal theory that would allow you to hold the center responsible even if the manager did defame you.
2. The girlfriend did violate your privacy by showing your manuscript to someone else. It's not defamation because defamation requires an untrue statement, and you wrote the manuscript. However, damages are based on your injury. You still have the manuscript and can still publish it if you like. She did nothing to prevent that. The vast majority of published manuscripts do not make anywhere near $75 million. Most earn less than $1,000, to be honest.
The amounts of money that you're asking for are so far beyond what a person could get on these facts that any lawyer who accepted your case could be charged with a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct by filing the claims. But what you could do is sit down with a local attorney to discuss the damage to your reputation in detail and what amounts you realistically would be able to recover.
Unless you have proof of significant economic harm, any recovery would likely be significantly less than the small claims court limit of $5,000, which means you would not even need a lawyer to file.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.