Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

We went car shopping two days ago. The pickup we originally

Customer Question

We went car shopping two days ago. The pickup we originally went to look at I found online. They were asking 39900 for it. This is the price the sales man told us also. The plan was to trade my husband's motorcycle in on the vehicle. We talked numbers etc about the first pickup and ended up not wanting it. Then we decided to test drive another one. I hadn't seen this one online so was unaware what the price was. We got back from the test drive and the salesman told us they were asking 32900 for the pickup. Then proceeded to tell us he would give us 8400 for the motorcycle as a trade. This brought the price down to 24500. He matched the asking priced that was online for the first pickup we looked at so I had no reason to doubt him. At this point of being at the dealership for a couple hours our 1 yr old son was getting antsy and we liked the pickup, we had no reason to doubt the salesman's honesty, so we agreed to buy the pickup, signed papers and went home. When we got home I looked at their website and discovered that they were actually asking 30900 for the pickup. So what are our options with this situation is what I am wondering?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
An advertisement or online posting is only an invitation for another person to offer to buy an item at that particular price. It does not create an obligation to sell at that price, especially to a person who did not see the advertisement before making the purchase. There also unfortunately is no legal requirement that a salesman always tell the buyer the lowest possible price they'll accept for a good. If you were willing to purchase the vehicle at $32,900, and signed paperwork for that price, I'm sorry to say, finding it advertised for less does not give you a right to change or cancel the contract. The only exception would be if the dealership offers some kind of lowest price guarantee.
You absolutely can speak with the salesman and try to negotiate a fair resolution. Many dealers will work with customers as a courtesy, because they want referrals and repeat business. But they're not required to give you the $2,000 difference.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I were to call and ask what they are asking for said pickup and they say the 30900. Where we bought it on Saturday, they still have it listed online at that price. Would that change anything.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
That unfortunately doesn't change the agreement you made, no. Legally, they don't have to accommodate you, but they can choose to do so.
Be sure to make a printout of the ad if you haven't already, because if you call them and they adjust the website, then you can't show them what it said before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done that, thanks. Just didn't know if there were any legal grounds, but I figured we were screwed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you otherwise.
Have a good day.