Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

My name is***** I recently received an advertisement

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** I recently received an advertisement in the mail giving me the opportunity to borrow up to $35,000. dollars the company stated I was pre approved and gave me a pre approval number, However when I called there number and talked to a representative I told her I would like to borrow $11,000. dollars to pay off some credit card debt she took my application ran my credit and told me I did not qualify. My question is, Is this considered False Advertisement and is there anything I can do. By them running my credit score it lowered my credit rating and they said it would not.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.Do you still have the advertisement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Most of those type of advertisements have language on there that say things like "up to $35k" or "may be eligible" or they have disclaimers in small print.However, if the one you received does not have that language then it would be illegal in every state I am aware of as a false advertisement and could be in violation of a variety of federal laws as well since it was sent through the USPS.As to running your credit, unless you have it in writing or on a taped recording that they said they weren't going to run a credit check then it is almost impossible to win that argument since obtaining credit almost always means running a credit check.Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.