Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

We bought a new Whirlpool washer in Sept. 2013 -- one year

Customer Question

We bought a new Whirlpool washer in Sept. 2013 -- one year express warranty. This week the washer broke down and the pressure switch, water pump, door switch and mother board needs replacing. Whirlpool has offered to supply parts, but says we're the hook for repair labor of more than $500. With a failure of this magnitude haven't breached an implied warranty requiring them to pay for the labor as well?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Unfortunately, an express warranty trumps an implied warranty because the implied warranty is the default under the law if the manufacturer doesn't specifically limit their liability by providing a warranty for a limited period of time.
.
While I think it is pretty lousy that they won't agree to make a one time exception for the washer as a gesture of good faith and customer service, legally they only have to comply with their written warranty that came with the consumer good when it was purchased.
.
I would still contact them again one last time and express my displeasure with their level of customer service and tell them that you will make sure to publicize on the internet and to all your family and friends the level of quality to expect with Whirlpool appliances. That might "encourage" them to up this to the next level of service because word of mouth is a powerful tool, both good and bad.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks