Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

I purchased a TV and the top of the line warranty. Before

Customer Question

I purchased a TV and the top of the line warranty. Before a year, the TV no longer has sound, picture, and was broken. They sent out repair, who stated the TV was unfixable.
But, they were not going to replace or do anything about it. After much insistence on my part, they gave me a store credit for the price of the TV, but no refund of taxes, or warranty. I was told the warranty could not transfer to the new TV, even though it had more than 2 years. According to Yelp reviews, this is what they have done to numerous people.
Do I have any options to get my money back? I ad to pay over$500 to get a TV comparable to the one that broke.
Thank you,
Ursula Bruno
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit em to assist you with your concerns.
I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. If I may ask, how large of a store credit did you receive? and did you spend it in any way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
$1779.99
Yes, I used it to get a new TV + $500+
Hi, In that case you really have limited options. Your choice to spend the money can be seen as 'acceptance' and agreement of their offer. So if you are now demanding more funds, then it is a weak position if you ended up spending the funds yourself. As far as paying tax, unless your warranty so stated they do not have to replace it because they have to replace the item, not reimburse you in full. Transferring the warranty, however, is a valid point--for that you may want to consider contacting your state's Attorney General's office and file a grievance with their consumer protection division on the basis of breach of contract and bait and switch tactics pertaining to their refusal to honor their own warranty. Sincerely, ***** *****