Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Have a promotion that expires in August 24, 2015, I made over

Customer Question

Have a promotion that expires in August 24, 2015, I made over five hundred dollars payment. I told them I would like my funds to apply all of it to the promotion. Representative says we can't because you aren't in the billing cycle of the promotion you must first meet the minimum payment to satisfied your revolving balances. Here Citibank is already making money with accruing interest from the non promotional purchases. As consumer, I don't have right to move my minimum payment to apply to the promotion that is expiring in August 24, 2015. Yet we are in July 3, 2015. How are the consumer going to pay off the promotion they keep on applying the funds to the revolving purchases first. I think the priority would to pay off the promotion which is due August 22, 2015. All of payments been satisfying the non promotional now that we are one month prior the actual billing cycle promotion month. I still have to satisfied the minimum payment than anything extra will go towards the promotion. I think it is unfair for the consumer. They choice where the funds go. I don't think it is right when my promotion is due on August 24, 2015. Now they expect consumers to come up with a lump some of payment just to avoid getting hit with finance charge. It is not logical it is not right. It my account my credit report that could be affective can be harmful to my account if the charges keep on occurring where it will also make it hard for to pay because my minimum payment will go up.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just note it should have read on Have a promotion that expires on August 24,2015 ...........
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, on a revolving line of credit such as a credit card, they have the right to apply the payment as they are saying to the revolving existing balance and they do not have to put it only on the promotion as you are requesting. The customer cannot pick and choose on a revolving credit balance what the payments go towards and in this situation the credit card company is actually correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is right as a consumer point of of view especially when I am one billing cycle for promotion to be expire. No other company that I deal with does that sort of thing. The law ought to be change. It is my account not theirs and if read my statement do you thing the law is right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a credit card it s home depot credit card
Thank you for your reply.
As attorneys, there are many times we believe the law is not fair, but if it is the law we are bound by what the law says. Do I think the law is right, well it is the law. Do I think the law is fair to the consumer, no I do not. However, there are many laws that are not fair to the consumer, but that does not mean they are not enforceable.
A home depot card is a credit card for use only in Home Depot and it is treated like a credit card legally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford it I thought live talk is including with the $36. Anyway, I feel that is not right for the company to control my funds especially when I am one billing cycle for promotion is due. There already occurring interest off me from the revolving purchases. So this how consumers fall in dept because banks that provide credit cards for stores aren't applying payments to promotion at a reasonable time to pay off the promotion. It has to be the same billing cycle to apply all the funds so if I eight hundred balance so as consumer it is putting burden on consumer finances as well as credit report because consumers have enough to pay off their promotion because all payments they be making throughout months have been going only towards the revolving balances that to say if a consumer only paid the minimum payment. Bot***** *****ne is not fair for consumer where the promotion is first priority to paid off. Their ought to be better protection for the consumer because the way if is stipulated now is not fair and it is not right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fall in debt .....
Thank you for your reply.
I apologize but live phone calls, unlike in other sections on JustAnswer.com, can be deemed practice of law which is forbidden by state laws as we do not and cannot represent you in any legal matter. I would be happy to continue with you in this forum if you would like to use reply. Thank you for understanding.
I agree with you that the laws should be more advantageous for consumers, but now you are arguing with me over what should be and I cannot change what the law is nor did I write that law. As attorneys, we can tell customers what the laws are and what their options are within those laws.
You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, http://www.ftc.gov, because they help create the laws and rules for these credit card companies. However, again while I agree with you it is not fair, all I can tell you is what the law is and that it is legal and I would hope you would not hold the fact that I cannot make that law change against me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not saying it is your fault I thought their is protection against that. According to law their is it. I will contact the Federal Trade Commission. Do you agree that this is one way, how consumer fall in debt not only that. Is there law stating that that funds can't e move the around and apply minimum payment towards the promotion especially when consumer is one billing cycle away for promotion being expire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well have to get going hope to talk with you in the near future. Have a nice 4th?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw, the website that you providing me. It isn't working
Thank you for your reply.
I just copied and pasted the link into my browser and it worked just fine, perhaps that is what you need to do. The site is correct.
I wish there were a law saying what you stated above and if there were one I would have told you. However, the law does not prohibit them from doing this on revolving debt cards.