Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

I just received a call from Unclaimed Award Division stating

Customer Question

I just received a call from Unclaimed Award Division stating that I have not claimed and in order to do so I need to contact Find Insurance Brokers to insure delivery to my bank by purchasing an Insurance Policy in the amount of $9920.00. Is this a scam.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your your concerns.
Yes, this is a scam, DO NOT fall for it. First of all, the IRS does not conduct or manage awards--there is no federal agency that does. Second, Homeland Security deals with internal security and borders, it has nothing to do with awards. Third, asking you for money, specifically for you to WIRE money, is an old trick. If you win money, the cost of transferring the assets to you is borne by the party who issued the award, not by you--while you may have to pay tax, that happens AFTER you receive the funds, and you cannot be charged for receiving the funds (this is yet another red flag). Finally, to win something you have to enter a drawing--if this was a call out of the blue, it is a scam and a means to convince you to send them money with the hope of receiving your 'award' which will never come. Please do not fall for it! Instead, please report them to the FBI or to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.