CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

A security monitoring company service sold a family member

Customer Question

A security monitoring company service sold a family member a monitoring contract and had them sign my name. i refuse to pay them and I now have a third party collector trying to collect from. This show on my credit report as a non-payment. I have contacted the collector and stated that the signature is not my signature. They have requested that I get a police report stating that the signature is fraudulent. Am I or my family member liable since the contract was made under false pretense?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, your family member is liable for this. Signing another person's name is ***** ***** of fraud, and they are liable both to you and to the creditor.It is possible that they can make a claim against the company that the company is somehow partially liable in this matter, but it isn't likely to hold - the act of actually forging your name was solely on your family member (they weren't forced to do so under threat of physical harm or some other form of duress).If you believe they are engaged in unfair business practices, you can report their business to the Tennessee Attorney General, and the AG's office can investigate the company for violations of the State's Business and Professions code, but that will not alter your family member's obligations to pay the current debt. You can file a complaint online here: http://attorneygeneral.tn.gov/cpro/filecomplaint.html