Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

Attorney Client Privilege: I recently ended a relationship

Customer Question

Attorney Client Privilege: I recently ended a relationship with my partner that existed throughout the time that she was in law school. She has yet to take the Bar Exam, however will do so in the near future. Although I know it is prohibited, and possibly
incidental to my question, she routinely offered me legal advice while she was in school. My question is: Now that we are no longer together, and she will presumably pass the Bar Exam and become and attorney in my state very soon, is anything that she knows
or that I confided in her during our relationship protected by attorney/client privilege or any other guidelines. I'm just curious since I know that she has a vindictive nature, and although we are on "good terms", I have thwarted recent attempts that she
has made to rekindle the relationship. I just don't want a lawyer with a personal vendetta attempting to make my life difficult. Thanks
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this question.
A law student has no more right to give you legal advice than an engineering student does. Only a licensed member of the bar can give you legal advice and only with a lawyer would there be an attorney/client privilege.
If she values your relationship, she will keep your confidences because she is your friend, but nothing you have said to her is privileged, nor will anything you have said to her in the past become so just because she passes the bar and starts practicing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should our relationship rekindle at anytime after she is licensed, is anything then protected?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
If you retain her services as a lawyer, then what you tell her from there would be protected under the attorney/client privilege. Anything you tell her before she was a lawyer does not get grandfathered in.
Also, just because someone is a lawyer does not mean that every conversation that they have must be kept confidential. If I'm with you as your friend and am not your lawyer, then there's no duty of confidentiality. For that matter, there's no confidentiality with legal question on this website, as we are just providing legal information and cannot represent you.