CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

My spouse called in to my provider to give info about my condition.

Customer Question

My spouse called in to my provider to give info about my condition. This resulted in a medical appt for me and my spouse said that my doctor was calling me in. I was in the next room so new nothing about this and didn't agree with traveling to another city to see
my doctor but since I was told that I was being called in, better go. Was still recovering from double pneumonia.
Anyway, no one at the doctor's office asked if I was present so they could talk to me or at least get my permission to talk about me. I have specifically not authorized my spouse to speak without my permission each time but guess that doesn't matter to them. They said that they did not provide info to my spouse, etc. At my next appt I questioned my provider about setting up an appt, someone take a phone call all without my permission or knowledge. He said he knows the HIPAA law and they can take all the calls they want and listen to whoever they want as long as they do not give out info. I said, how do I know there was no info given out if I'm not allowed to approve the conversation or call myself?
Ron Krenik
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
The physician is correct, HIPPA prohibits the doctor, his staff, or his office from giving out information about your condition, or even revealing that you are a patient. However, it does not prevent them from receiving information about you or your condition from other parties. This means that if your wife knows who your health care provider is, she can contact their office and tell them about concerns she may have about your health.The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has a helpful site where you can find out more information about what HIPPA covers and how to file a complaint if you believe your HIPPA rights have been violated. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/