CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey, recently had it in the shop for

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey, recently had it in the shop for a misfire problem. $2010 later the mechanic tells me there was a lawsuit against Honda for this problem. After doing some research, the lawsuit has been closed. What do I do from here? My Odyssey
is still not fixed. Don't want my family to get stranded on the side of the road somewhere.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You can check with the Federal Safety website to see if there is a recall for any of the parts that are covered: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues.Unfortunately outside of that, you are going to need to make the repairs to the vehicle yourself (a 2008 vehicle is going to be outside the scope of a products liability lawsuit.I do wish I had a different answer for you, but your mechanic should be able to assist you with finding a fix to your vehicle's mechanical issue so that you are not at risk of being stuck roadside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called American Honda corporate office, they informed me that my vehicle DOES have a recall for that issue. But we recently took the vehicle in to get 3 other recalls fixed and they said nothing about this one. So I took it to my certified mechanic and spent over $2000 trying to fix the problem, is there any way I can recoup that money?
Also, after speaking to Honda corporate, they told me that (because of this particular recall) they put an extended 8 year warranty on these vehicles.
Unfortunately warranty claims are subject to the limitations of the manufacturer performing those repairs at their dealerships, or authorized shops, with prior authorization.You can submit a claim to the manufacturer and ask for reimbursement but there is no obligation for them to repay (some manufacturers will honor these types of claims, but they are not obligated to do so).If you have an extended warranty, I would recommend getting a copy of it. Warranties are contracts, so your rights and remedies (as well as obligations - such as reporting problems and getting repairs at specified shops) are going to be governed by the express terms of the warranty contract. The manufacturer should provide you with a copy of this - or tell you how to get one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you.
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.Bill