Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I am an automotive collector, I recently purchased a property

Customer Question

I am an automotive collector, I recently purchased a property in West Virginia to build a storage facility and workshop for my automotive collection. I moved the vehicles to the property while I was waiting for the approval of the building permit. In the meantime a representative from the county and the State came by and issued citations stating that I was operating a salvage business. Is there a law in west Virginia that allows a collector to have unregistered vehicles on their property. These are show vehicles that I trailer to events. I have no plans on registering these vehicles because they will never be driven on the street.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Only motor vehicles driven upon the roads in WV are required to be registered. If these vehicles are not being driven on the roads and are show vehicles, they do not require registration. It is not against the law to have unregistered vehicles on your private property, as they are not being driven on the roads. It is not up to the inspector to make the determination on the scene, it is up to their discretion, but it is up to the Courts to decide. So you need to plead not guilty and you need to go to court with your proof that the cars on your land are all show vehicles and not salvage vehicles and that they do not require registration because you do not drive them on any roads. If you prove that in the court, they will dismiss the charges.