Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My car was in the dealership fuel leak. The maintenance

Customer Question

My car was in the dealership for a fuel leak. The maintenance department swapped the fuel pump, started the car and drove it. The serpentine belt shredded, wrapped around part of the crankshaft, and the timing was altered as a result. They say that could mean bent valves or possibly that it needs a new head.
They say that the serpentine belt was drenched with diesel fuel from the fuel leak, and that's why it broke.
Does the dealer hold any liability? I would think they would check the belts for fuel after doing such maintenance before starting or driving if it is a known potential failure point.
The car worked well when I brought it to the shop - it just had a little fuel leak. It was worth about $10,000 and it is now worth about $1,000.
Thanks for any answers.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if:
1) The shop still has the vehicle, and if
2) Their bill has been paid, or not?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.