Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

My I bought a car from from someone, and when i tried to go

Customer Question

My I bought a car from from someone, and when i tried to go register it and get a tag they stated that the car has a abandonment warrant on it. And i cannot get it registered until its taken off. I tried locating the person i bought the car from but they a now in jail. But from my understanding the reason form the warrant is because the repairs were not paid for prior to me purchasing the car. How do i go about handling this situation? After all its not my bill nor fault.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid your options are limited in this type of situation. First, if the seller sold you a car that you cannot register, this is a violation of the common law warranty of merchantability and breach of contract even in an as is used car sale and the seller either has to pay to clear the title or refund your money. So you have a right to return the car to the seller and demand a refund of your money. Second, you can pay the amount due to clear the warrant and sue the seller for the money it cost you to clear the warrant.
Those are your legal options on this type of warrant I am afraid.