CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Car malfunctions but wreck was my fault need advice

Customer Question

Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
If you have auto insurance, you will want to "tender" the claim to your insurance carrier right away - this means tell your insurance agent or adjuster about the accident (in writing) right away. Your insurance is required to provide you with defense and indemnity for the accident ("defense" means pay for an attorney to defend you if you are sued, and "indemnity" means pay for any loss up to the limits of your policy).If you are not insured, you will want to ensure that you file an accident report with the state DMV, and if you are actually sued (served with a "summons and complaint" that you strongly consider hiring an attorney to represent you in the matter (if you have no assets, and no income, you may be considered "judgment proof" and can allow a judgment to be entered against you, but I would caution against allowing this to happen "by default" and would encourage you to at least enter an appearance by filing an answer. If you do not have resources to pay for an attorney, visit your local law library and use books called "practice guides" (these are books attorneys use for strategy and templates for drafting legal documents) to help you write your answer to the complaint and to defend the action.