Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

Bought a used vehicle on friday afternoon & now having buyers

Customer Question

Bought a used vehicle on friday afternoon & now having buyers remoarse. paid cash for car & Im noticing some issues, plus its just to big. Small town car lot! Do I have any options?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you, There are several purchasers for which the law provides a way out for certain purchases and certain transactions, such as entering a contract for remodeling a residence or buying a timeshare. Unfortunately, the law on used car sales adheres to the principle of "Cveat emptor", "Let the buyer beware". The buyer should drive the vehicle before he buys it and, if he feels it is necessary, have his own auto mechanic inspect it to determine if it has any serious issues which would cost the purchaser a substantial amount of money to correct. If the buyer does not take these precautionary measures, it is difficult to rescind the sale. However, there is one exception and that is, if te vehicle has a serious defect which the seller took steps to hide fro the buyer, then the buyer has recourse against the seller and can have the sale rescinded on the grounds of fraud. This is not just a matter of the buyer changing his mind, so if you can find a substantial defect in the vehicle which the seller tried to hid from you, then these could be grounds that you could rely on in demanding that the seller refund the entire amount you paid for the car. A good idea is to take the car to a mechanic and ask him to inspect it and specifically look for something hat the seller couldeasily have hidden from you and that you could not readily uncover before you bought the car. That would be your wayout of this transaction. I sincerely ***** ***** I could give you additional grounds to rely on in rescinding the agreement, but the law is pretty specific about used vehicles and does not provide the purchaser for ways to get out of an agreement to buy a car, so please do not hold this part of the law against me, as I had nothing to do with drafting this law. Kindly leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you, Okay ? :) Kindest Regards, ANDREA