Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

A contractor is telling me he has a Virginia beach

Customer Question

A contractor is telling me he has a Virginia beach license??? I already know his state license was revoked. Can he legally operate with a county license to remodel/ repair homes?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: No, he cannot as he must be licensed by the state before he can start any project. Click on the PDF below for more information:
http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/Boards/Contractors/Contractor%20consumer%20info%20sheet.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** an 'official' way to claim a dispute of good faith? Where you have s right to with hold a portion of the payment until the judge b is complete or can I verbally warn him? This is what I did and now u find out he is unlicensed
I am sorry, but I do not understand your follow-up post. Could you review it, make corrections, and resubmit?
Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I canx the last payment with warning that if he did not finish the job I would deduct what I would have to pay someone else and send him the remainder. Is this a dispute of good faith? I was told if I had a Dispute of good faith I could withhold the small amount until he completed the job totally. FYI he is now stating that he should have charged extra to put a toilet back after taking it out to tile underneath it.
Thank you for the clarification.
Your question is now dealing with a new topic that was not part of your initial post dealing only with licensing. The policy of this site requires that you open a new thread for this new question.
Thank you for your cooperation.