CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was issued a writ of garnishment from Denver County and on

Customer Question

I was issued a writ of garnishment from Denver County and on the paper it states the Original amount of judgmnt Entered is $2,859.76, plus interest $320.73, plus taxable cost $525.57, Less any amount paid $3,326.61 which brings to Principal balance Owing: $379.45. This has amount has been fully paid off. Now, I spoke with the collections agency and told me i still owe them $426.05. And told me the charge off amount was $2,981.83 which is different from the amount entered on judgment. Do I still owe them any penny at all?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
It is possible.
The judgment that is entered gives the amount due at the time that it is entered. The creditor is entitled to continue adding post judgment interest and collection costs to the judgment after the entry of judgment.
Ask the collections agency for an itemized statement. They should provide one to you.
(Most court records can also be found online - go to the Court's website and look for the "register of actions" - that will give you an updated judgment, so if they recorded any additional filings, you can find them there, this does not necessarily give the final accounting (again the creditor can continue to add post-judgment costs and interest), but it will give you additional documentation to support the claim).
If you believe that you are being overcharged, you can file a "motion for satisfaction of judgment" with the civil court and require the plaintiff to show an accounting of their costs and fees to support why they believe they are owed the additional money - but start with the informal route above.