Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

I have fallen victim to a scam on reselling timeshare weeks

Customer Question

I have fallen victim to a scam on reselling timeshare weeks by NSR Services Inc and La Vista Title Inc. Both contacted me by phone and email. both seemed very helpful and supporting and I was sucked in. Now, all of a sudden they have no phones contact or emails contacts. Both just vanished. This went on for many months. Any recourse or do I chalk this up to being naive? Can I write this lost off on My Taxes.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this question.
Unfortunately, if your reseller was never a real company, your options for recovery are very limited. They have already disappeared into cyberspace and could be anybody, anywhere in the world.
You can report the fraud to the BBB at bbb.org, your state attorney general's office and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov to warn others. But frankly, the only possibility you have to recover your money is if somehow law enforcement can find who, what, where they really are, round the up and bring them to justice.
So report the fraud to your police and to the FBI. The FBI has an online website devoted to internet scams of all type called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. They are partnered their with Interpol and several other agencies designed to help address the problem of computer fraud. You can find them at www.IC3.gov.
Your unreimbursed losses due to being the victim of a crime are tax deductible, which is another reason to make sure you report the crime.
Also -- because scammers always come back with new names for a second bite of the apple -- the rule of thumb is that any unsolicited contact from a so-called reseller who claims he can sell your timeshare and wants money up front should be avoided, each and every time.
If you are serious about trying to unload your timeshare, a useful place to get information before you sign any contract with a reseller is Tug2.net and tug's forum called tugbbs.com. Tug2 is made up entirely of Timeshare owners who have all learned from their mistakes and are eager to educate others and help them sell or rent their timeshares while avoiding problems with scams.
You can also do a search for reputable resellers through the Better Business Bureau's directory of accredited businesses. These are reviewed and vetted by the BBB. You'll get businesses that have some kind of a history and you can read the BBB reviews and have some idea of their reliability. It's a good place to look if you want to do some comparative shopping.
Best of luck!