P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

I was in a small car accident May 1. No injuries and the

Customer Question

Hi
I was in a small car accident May 1. No injuries and the other persons fault. The insurance is only willing to give me 3000 blue book value of my car that was totaled. My problem is I can't replace my car for 3k and I'm planning to buy a home in January and with a car payment of 200-300 a month for the next 2 yeRs, I will not qualify to buy a house now. Do I have any chance to go to court to ask for 7-8k to get a decent car without a payment
Thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
You are not required to take the offer presented by the insurance company. So you can absolutely refuse the offer and take them to court. However, understand that your ability to recover is limited by the value of your vehicle.
Specifically, if the value of your vehicle was $3000? That is all the insurance company is required to pay. If you wanted to sue them to receive more money you would have to prove your vehicle is worth more than the $3000 offered.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.