CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I live in mississippi about 2 years ago I purchased a 2013

Customer Question

I live in mississippi about 2 years ago I purchased a 2013 dodge charger with a 36000 manufacturer warranty also purchased an extended warranty for 85000 miles or 5 years and was told it would cover almost everything including all the electronics. In january this year had multiple diagnostic codes show up. I took the vehicle to the local dodge dealer and was told there was water intrusion into the ecm and it and the wiring harness needed to be replaced at a cost of $2400.00 and warranty wouldn't cover it because water caused it(even though this should be a water tight connection).I then filed a complaint with dodge to no avail, so I repaired myself by installing the wiring harness and ecm and then having the dealer reflash the ecm. The dealer had the car over 30 days by the way. Slowly but surely over past two months all the diagnostic codes have showed up again and now the car is undrivable even though it has only 46000 miles on it. I don't know what to do and any help would be appreciated.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You need to start by identifying what exactly is causing the vehicle to be undrivable. Once you identify the cause you will be better able to pursue a remedy with the manufacturer (if appropriate). Either the dealership, or a trusted independent mechanic, should be able to assist you with this type of diagnostics test.If you find that the repair should have been covered under the extended warranty, you can start with the same process you went through for the ecm above (you need to go through this to start with), then, if it is unsuccessful, here are a few things you can try:File a dispute with the BBB - this is fast, easy, and free to you as a consumer (the BBB doesn't have any enforcement authority, so it is not always effective, but I offer it to customers because it takes relatively little investment and you don't compromise your claim by trying it): https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-startedIf the BBB is unsuccessful, you can then move on to a breach of contract/products liability claim in small claims court (again, you need to identify the cause of the vehicle's current defect and the cost of repair, but hopefully you will fall within the small claims limit), a small claims case usually takes between 4-8 months to get to judgment, but it can result in both "declaratory relief" (forcing the dealer to fix the problem) or money damages (giving you money to pay a mechanic to do so).Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.If the fix is very expensive, you may want to consider hiring a local attorney to help you level the negotiations field. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).